Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Drop It Like It's Hot

So, this happened!

After so much waiting, it's a relief to finally get an obvious, irrefutable sign that this crazy journey is almost at an end.

I realize now that the dropping ("lightening," if you prefer, although I have no idea what part of me has gotten any lighter) has actually been taking place over the past week, maybe longer than that. Walking is tougher, I get up now every hour at night, and by mid-day I've developed a pronounced waddle -- usually accompanied by some muttering and groaning under my breath. Guess all that bouncing on the exercise ball didn't hurt, either.

It's a good thing, too. I was desperately in need of a sign. I'm 16 days out from my due date, and up until this past weekend, there's been no indication that this child will ever, ever come out of me. No Braxton Hicks, no identifiable false contractions, nothing. I really was convinced that I might be the first woman in history to be pregnant forever. Yeah, I'm aware every woman thinks this. But I was going to be the first one who was RIGHT.

In three days I have my 38 week doctor's appointment, where they will check me for cervical dilation for the first time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things are getting started.



No comments:

Post a Comment