Wednesday, September 9, 2009

An Actual Phone Call that Took Place Today

*Ring ring*

ME: Hello?

NURSE PRACTITIONER: Hi, Amanda? This is the nurse practitioner from your doctor's office. You left a message for me?

ME: Oh! Yes.

NP: Is everything okay?

ME: I think so. Well -- here's the thing. I'm 38 weeks pregnant. And I receive these weekly emailed updates on what I should expect during my pregnancy? From a website I signed up for?

NP: Uh huh.

ME: And -- well, I'm sure it's nothing. But in this week's update, it mentioned I should be conscious of any vision changes, like if you start seeing flashing lights or floaters? And the thing is, two days ago, I noticed that sometimes I see little flashing lights, if I turn my head really fast?

NP: Okay...

ME: And um...the site said it could be a sign of pre-eclampsia. And that I should call you. Just to be safe.

NP: Have you experienced any dizziness?

ME: No.

NP: (tiny, barely audible sigh) Well...you haven't had any other symptoms, have you? Swelling? Rapid weight gain?

ME: Just...normal amounts, I guess.

NP: Have you had issues with high blood pressure?

ME: No, as of last week everything was normal. (beat) I mean, I know it was nothing. I just thought...because it said I should call my doctor and check, just to make sure.

NP: (gently) It's something new, every day, isn't it? The good news is you won't have much longer to wait.

ME: Can't be soon enough! Ha ha!

NP: (dead silence)

ME: Well, okay then! I feel better! Thanks!

NP: Uh-huh.

*click*

This conversation brought to you by my extreme paranoia.



No comments:

Post a Comment