Monday, March 8, 2010

5 month 2 week 3 day check in

Right now I've just put Sadie down for a mid-day nap, and instead of sleeping she's decided to make vowel sounds at her mobile. Since I'm paranoid about going in to take a shower before she's fully asleep, I've decided to kill time by inhaling an entire box of Tagalongs having a quick snack and posting on the baby blog.

Life has been eventful lately. We have a new sitter starting tomorrow, since we got hung out to dry by our old sitter. I have a hard time talking about it. It still hurts. She decided to devote herself full time to growing her photography business (she took the adorable close-up of Sadie, a few posts down), and informed me of this decision about three days after I'd approached her about upping her hours because she'd been so invaluable to us. Scott can attest to the fact that I didn't take the news well. To be specific, I called him crying from the parking lot of a Del Taco. I think my exact words were, "It's like I pulled out an engagement ring, and she dumped me. I need to eat some chili cheese fries." Now that I've somewhat recovered, I've found someone new. I think it's going to work out well -- she has promised to deal kindly with my nervous text messaging habit.

We went over to my parents' house yesterday to celebrate both of their birthdays, which fall 10 days apart. As we all sat around on the couch, Sadie next to me on her back, she waited for me to turn my attention to the window and chose that moment to try to roll herself headlong off the couch. Between Scott and my mother, I have never, ever seen reflexes that lightning quick. Y'all should be major league baseball players with reflexes like that. Of course I felt terrible -- she doesn't roll, guys! I swear! That was a one time thing! This morning I placed her on her belly and waited forever for her to roll, but still no dice.

She does scooch, though, which is kind of funny. She only does it when we're not looking. A few mornings ago I went into the bedroom to get her, and she'd scooched herself backwards into a corner of the crib, actually under a throw blanket I put there to use as decoration. Er...USED as decoration. I've decided to put that throw blanket somewhere else. So the girl can definitely get places when she wants to.

And how are things on the poop front, you ask? You want to know about poop? While sitting in the Jumparoo this morning, she took a poop that went off like a gunshot and when I went to change her diaper I found it had gone as far up as her NECK. Her changing pad is now being sanitized in the washing machine. As for her cute white onesie with the little yellow duckies on it...well, my suspicion is that it will never be quite the same again.

Overall, complaining aside, these days are so joyful and fun that I wish they'd never end. She's the perfect size, she's happy nearly all the time, she still sleeps like a dream, and her little personality emerges more every day. She's curious and grabby, she loves beards and eyeglasses and iPhones. And the handle of my coffeepot, which I need to watch out for. She thinks dogs are the funniest toys ever invented. She loves having her diaper changed but hates having her hands put through sleeves. She loves bath time but hates being taken out of the tub. She smiles big at me and even bigger at her dad. She is my joy in life and I never, ever get tired of loving on her. I don't know how we got this lucky, but we must be doing something right. 



2 comments:

  1. I swear, whoever invented baby blogs should get a Nobel Prize.  Reading these has been the the most fun I've had in YEARS (specifically, since you went through the exact same stuff)!



    ReplyDelete
  2. That last paragraph kind of brought tears to my eyes! That's EXACTLY how I feel! Well, except for the sleeping like a dream. And V hasn't encountered a beard yet, but I suspect she'd be enthralled. I think we're both doing something right, and clearly we both have great karma to get such good little ones!

    ReplyDelete