Monday, February 8, 2010

Sounds Amazing

One of the awesomest parts of watching a baby grow comes when they learn something new. Sadie seems to pick up most skills somewhat gradually, like reaching out and grabbing. She had to figure out how to work her fingers, how to arrange them around an object depending on its shape, how to extend her arm outward; finally, she got the hang of it.

When it comes to making sounds, though, she picks up on new things quickly and hilariously. What happens is she'll stumble upon a new sound as it comes out of her mouth. If she likes it, she'll try it again. Then 40,000 more times over the course of a couple of days, at which point she'll get bored of it and stow it away in her vocal arsenal for later use. The last time she made a discovery like this it was the raspberry, which she proceeded to blow in my direction for several hours as we ran errands. (One of my favorite memories, I think, will always be watching her raspberry at me repeatedly as she sat in her car seat in a shopping cart at Costco.) Another time it was the gargle -- she spent all day gargling like she was making her way through a bottle of Scope, then got tired of it and I haven't heard her do it since.

Anyway, this is her newest sound. She stumbled across it yesterday as she lay on my lap, and this afternoon when I put her down for her nap she decided that instead of sleep, she was going to work on her dolphin impression. I think she nailed it pretty good.

I should issue a quick warning before you watch the video -- Pepper got right up behind me and barked right before I stopped shooting video, so if you have your speakers turned up loud be prepared right around 0:30.

Sadie baby squeaks




No comments:

Post a Comment