Friday, September 17, 2010

A Little Muscle

Do you ever feel sorry for yourself, and then get annoyed at yourself for feeling sorry for yourself, and then pity yourself because now someone's annoyed at you?

Or is that just me?

It's been a long week, with Scott in Anchorage for work and Sadie starting a new day care, only to discover that she is in no shape right now to move to a new place with new people.

I wrote a really long, bitter blog post a couple of days ago which, when I reread it the next morning, horrified me. I sounded so bitter and annoyed about everything that's going on, and it just read like ME ME ME WAAAAHHH MY LIFE.

I deleted it and decided to start over, but the last three days have been so hectic that I never got the chance. I don't have it in me to start over from the beginning, but the short version goes like this:

Sadie started at her new day care on Wednesday, for a half day. Three hours in, I got a call from Rose that Sadie hadn't stopped screaming ever since she put her down on the floor. She would only stop crying if Rose held her -- but she'd taken her nap and eaten lunch beautifully. It was only play time that she wouldn't tolerate. Rose didn't know what was wrong, but she did tell me she thought Sadie's behavior wasn't normal, and advised me to take her to the doctor.

Once we got home and I spent Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning with her, I couldn't help but notice that Sadie's behavior really has grown extreme. She wouldn't let me walk more than two feet away from her without bursting into hysterical tears. She wanted to be with me at all times.

The doctor examined her, put her on the table and urged her to go after a toy -- Sadie wouldn't, couldn't, and started to cry. I explained it to her: this is what happens. She has no mobility at all, really -- even the crawling backwards has stopped, because it frustrates her not to be able to move in the direction she wants to go.

The doctor diagnosed her with mild hypotonia, which is something you should never, ever Google if you think your kid has it, because you will give yourself a heart attack and call your spouse in utter panic, as Scott did, saying, "She'll never catch up to the other kids! I think she has an overactive thyroid! Have you noticed a slack jaw and copious drooling?"

What it is, essentially, is low muscle tone, and it means Sadie could benefit greatly from physical therapy. It's a problem that could or could not be grown out of on its own, but if she doesn't grow out of it then it could easily grow worse, as she gives up and stops trying out of frustration.

Speaking of the frustration, the doctor explained that what's likely happening to Sadie attitude-wise is the same thing that happens to toddlers who are slow to master speech. They desperately WANT to talk, they know what they want to say -- they just aren't able to tell you. All that frustration manifests itself as tears, anger, tantrums.

Sadie's like that, except her problem is that she can't crawl after a ball that has rolled away, can't follow me when I walk across the room, can't explore a new toy that has caught her eye but is just out of reach. I try to imagine living like that, like a person who uses a wheelchair but has been told that they can't use it and must just sit in the center of the room all day, and I can't imagine the frustration she must feel. She wants to explore her world and can't do it.

I'm really looking forward to the physical therapy evaluation Monday morning, and learning how to help her strengthen her muscles. I'm also trying to swallow worry over what the next few weeks will bring, as far as who will take care of her while I'm working, how much time each day will need to be devoted to strength exercises, how long it will take to see improvement, and how to explain to her other caregivers what she needs. I hope, more than anything, that increased mobility will make her happier and more content than she currently is.

I'm tired, but relieved to have a diagnosis and confident that now things can get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment