Sunday, June 6, 2010

Shut Up, "Two Days Ago Me"

Seriously? I was complaining about a whining baby? Shut up, me. The good part is just getting started. Sadie spent yesterday screaming her head off. Drooling, chewing her fingers, desperately rubbing her nose against my shoulder, snotting, falling into an exhausted sleep and then waking up to do it all over again. We had a steady flow of visitors yesterday, and each one sent her into paroxysms of rage and shrieking. I guess she doesn't like people to witness her pain.

Still no Infant Tylenol in the entire state of California, it appears, so we finally called her doctor and got okayed to use a low dosage of Chidren's Tylenol syrup instead. That's been helping, a little bit. Today she's supposed to spend the day with my dad and my sister, hanging out at my parents' house while I help my mom organize some office files for a few hours. I almost canceled that after yesterday's crying marathon, until --

Well, really, it was the craziest thing. There we were, Scott and I, sitting on the couch with Sadie around 6pm. She'd play for a minute or two, then a wave of pain would hit her and she'd burst into hysterical, furious, tired sobs. We'd soothe her, walk her around, distract her with toys, and she'd eventually stop crying, only to start up again. We were literally counting down the seconds to her bathtime so we could give her a bottle and put her to bed.

The doorbell rang and it was my dad, ready to take me to a Dodger game (Scott was on baby-sitting duty last night). I let him in and got ready for another round of, "Why have you introduced this horrible STRANGER into my house?" yelling. But instead, Sadie was fascinated. She wanted to stare at his face and pull on his mustache. She almost smiled. We put her in my father's arms and she sat there peacefully until it was time for us to go.

I guess what this means is that my father has magical child-calming powers. Which is why, today, I'm headed over to my parents', baby in tow, feeling only mildly guilty about the fact that I'm dropping a miserable nightmare baby on my well-meaning family members. And if it turns out badly, well, sorry guys. Mom needs a break.  



2 comments:

  1. Sweetie, Hylands homeopathic teething pills. A mom in the middle of the grocery store saw me looking frazzled with the whiny airplane baby a few years ago and recommended them to me. You will find them in the organic section of the store. I swear by them to the point that when big girl (Sam) was restless sleeping this last winter I bought Hylands Calm Forte which helps children sleep!!!! Its all natural and it works...not like the Orajel crap which just makes us mom's feel like we are trying to fix something that just won't work on our baby but works on EVERYONE Elses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. and if that doesn't work I will find and mail you some friggin baby tylenol.

    ReplyDelete