Friday, May 7, 2010

Crap! Arugula.

I love my arugula plant. It is a thing of sheer beauty, a tiny, delicate seedling 40 days ago that has now become a behemoth of a plant, the tallest plant in the garden not counting the tomato vines. A few weeks back it began blossoming tiny white flowers on long, tall stalks, putting the plant now at close to 1 1/2 feet high. Truly impressive.

Then I went and researched when to harvest arugula, and turns out you're supposed to do it before it starts flowering. Once it flowers, turns out, it stops producing new leaves. And the remaining leaves turn more and more bitter. Once hot weather arrives, the arugula is pretty much done, which means my lovely arugula is already on its way out.

Looks like I'll be having plenty of arugula salads in the next week or so.



No comments:

Post a Comment