Friday, February 4, 2011

Third...Er...Fourth Time's the Charm?

When I hired nanny number three -- oh eff it, it's just call her Lisa, since that's her name -- I thought I'd scored a major coup. We set a start date for a few weeks down the line and in the meantime I boasted to everyone that we'd found the next Mary Poppins. Seriously, that's how great she seemed! We stayed in touch over phone and email, and she'd breathlessly tell me how she couldn't wait to start watching "darling Sadie," that she felt it was important to make connections with families, and that she'd felt as soon as she walked in the door that we were the perfect match. It was fate! Kismet! The stars had aligned!

And then, last Sunday, I received the following email:

Hi Amanda,
I'm sorry to tell you but I have been offered a full time job that I have accepted. I realized that I need to work full time.
I wish you all the best.
Lisa

Huh! Funny, that. The whole reason I hired her was because she'd said she had no interest in full-time work. Lisa was a liar. Lisa, frankly, can suck it. The one favor she did was to quit a week before her assigned start date, giving me seven days in which to find her replacement. Thanks a ton, Lisa. Also, kiss my ass.

So...guess what we've been doing for the past seven days? And guess how much crying I've done in the meantime? Here's a hint: every time the topic of hiring a nanny comes up, Scott now knows to cringe, hurl a few Girl Scout cookies in my direction, and bolt for the door.

I'm exaggerating a little bit. The process is going well, and I hope to have good news to report soon.

Today is Sadie's first day at toddler group, and I'm truly excited to go. It's Scott's old preschool that she's going to, and the toddler group class is slightly different from a standard Mommy and Me in that while parents are present, they work to help the children grow less dependent on them and make the eventual transition to preschool easier. For someone like Sadie, who tends to get very wiggy in unfamiliar situations when I'm not right nearby, this sounds like a valuable thing.

2 comments:

  1. Un-be-f!@#$ing-lievable. I don't even know what to tell you. You must have had a very charmed existence in a past life...so there's that. Obviously Lisa doesn't read your blog. You should sent her the link to her entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so rotten! Someone perfect is bound to come along (and hopefully soon) that will stick around for as long as you need them to! At least Scott is tossing you good cookies :)

    ReplyDelete