Monday, July 12, 2010

Development/Delays

Oh, what fun infant day care has been! In the space of less than two months, it has transformed me from a confident, knowledgeable mother to a helpless, shivering bundle of nerves -- convinced that the only thing that might prevent my child from growing into a developmentally-delayed pile of goop is the possibility that she might first expire from relentless chest colds picked up from other children.

We knew it was only a matter of time before Sadie got sick. We've been incredibly, remarkably lucky thus far -- up until last month she's never had so much as a single sniffle, despite my sometimes lazy cleaning habits. (I once caught her wrapping her mouth around Pepper's tail stub, which is about an inch long.) Then she began day care, and within two weeks had caught a mild cold.

She threw it off with ease, but last weekend we threw a barbecue to celebrate the 4th of July, Scott's birthday and the (amazing) fact that he's lost over a hundred pounds. That was a loud, noisy, hectic day, and she'd been running a low-grade fever a few days earlier, though she seemed recovered by the time we threw the party. Apparently not. She returned from a sleepover at my parents' house that same night with a rumble in her chest, and by the next morning it had turned into a full-blown chest cold.

I had never realized before this point how completely sad and pathetic a sick baby is. Oh my God. Between the hacking and the coughing and the chest burbling, she would cry and sleep and cry again. It sucks not to be able to explain to your baby why she feels so bad, and to reassure her that she'll be better soon. Besides, my secret worry was that things might get worse.

Panicked, I put in a call to my pediatrician's office, then I called back again, and left multiple messages, until I got a frosty call back from the nurse on duty, all, "YES, CAN I HELP YOU, IRRITATING WOMAN?" She warmed up a little when it became obvious I was just a nervous first-time mom, and reassured me that as long as Sadie wasn't running a fever and still had an appetite, there was little need to worry.

She was right, and Sadie was on the mend the next day. It's taken her awhile to shake the cough, though, and she's still napping more than normal. When she baby-babbles, she sounds like she's picked up a pack-a-day habit. She sounds like Bonnie Raitt.

None of this is the major concern, though, because apparently what I should be worried about, according to the woman who runs Sadie's day care, is the fact that her lack of mobility is a HORRIBLE THING and this, truly, is what I should be worrying about. 

I mean, here's the thing. She loves to stand, can do so if supported, and struggles to get up on her feet when you pick her up under her arms. She sits, rolls around, all of this.

But she doesn't try to get from Point A to Point B. She doesn't scoot, cruise, walk or crawl. She doesn't try to pull her legs up underneath her when lying on her belly. She doesn't really lie on her belly, period -- at least, not for longer than the time it takes to grab whatever toy is in reach so she can roll back over again and play with it. If you take the toy out of reach, as I've said before, she immediately loses interest in it, or else she kind of fusses in its general direction before shifting her attention elsewhere.

I'm sure, as a day care operator, it's got to be annoying to have to deal with a baby who is going on 10 months old and still won't go after something that's out of reach. But really -- to the point where she had to mention it to Scott when he picked her up last week, and then AGAIN to me on the phone today? This was, in essence, the conversation we had:

HER: I want to talk to you about Sadie.

ME: Okay.

HER: And I understand you are a first-time mother, so you don't know. You don't have anything to compare.

ME: .......Right.

HER: She needs more activity.

ME: Activity?

HER: She needs to learn how to crawl, and she is not crawling.

ME: I know she isn't...but don't some babies just learn late?

HER: (in a very patient voice reserved for mothers who need to be told not to put Mountain Dew in their baby's bottles) I understand you are a first-time mother. But some babies, their muscle tone isn't good. And there are exercises you can do to help her learn how to move. Have you talked to her doctor?

ME: Well...at her nine month checkup, she didn't seem to be concerned about it. And I know some babies just get a late start...

HER: I think you should talk to her doctor. Because she won't crawl, and she won't hold a bottle.

Okay. Nothing inspires unease like hearing your child's day care instructor say, in the sort of tone your auto mechanic might tell you that your timing belt has snapped, "She won't crawl, and she won't hold a bottle." I mean, we've had the bottle discussion before. I'm working with her on the bottle thing. She KNOWS how to pick up a bottle; she just decidedly doesn't want to DO it. Now my worry is that my daughter's obstinance is going to get her expelled from day care.

"Attitude problems. Issues with authority," they'll write on her report card. And it will go on her permanent record.

I know I'm being overly dramatic here, but...yeesh. I went ahead and talked to our pediatrician (that office sure has been getting to know me well the past couple of weeks) and she sounded...unconcerned, to say the least. What she did do was refer me to a service that sends physical therapists to the homes of children who have physical developmental delays. She also mentioned that because it's a state-run service, it's free of charge but that Sadie might not even qualify and oh, even if she did, it could take months for them to fit me in for a consultation.

Months.

Like, presumably by the time I got in to see them about my non-crawling daughter, she'll already be at the stage where she's not only crawling but also walking, jumping and running.

Faced with the choice of whether to spend the next few months agonizing, or simply not worrying about the whole thing, I think I'm going to have to opt for the latter. Of course, if my daughter winds up flunking day care, sending her down a lifelong path of failure and confidence issues, she'll have nobody but me to blame.



6 comments:

  1. Reality check time.

    You did nothing much before 12 months of age mobility-wise.  You didn't have to.  You had two first-time parents who were more than happy to pick you up and carry you where you wanted to go.  This syndrome persisted right into the forming-sentences stage  ("PICK ME UP!").

    Guess what?  In your own sweet time, but well before preschool,  you crawled, walked, and ran just fine.  Heck, you even played softball eventually.   And you still sport one heckuva karate kick. :)

    So much for perspective.  Now you need to consider whether you want to keep giving money to people who make you feel like Idiot Mom.   I am 100% serious about this.  I never left you or your sister with people who made me feel anything but supported and good about myself as well as my kids.  And you shouldn't either.

    Standing up to people who are willing to tell you what is wrong with your kid can be very empowering, and if you do it coolly you won't lose your dignity.  (If you're nice about it, putting them on the defensive can be very effective, e.g.:  "I know you're trying to be helpful, but you're directly contradicting my pediatrician's observations about my daughter, and that makes me very nervous about leaving Sadie here.")   

    Oh, and about Sadie's not reaching for things?  Well, duh, people keep giving things to her!  Your Dad and I are just as bad about that as anyone. .  When she visited Saturday, we put her on the floor for the first time to let her do her own cup-gathering and banging.   She didn't like it ("WHAT?  YOU'RE NOT GOING TO DO IT FOR ME?") and fussed for a minute,  then got into it big time (it doesn't look like that on the video I took, because your Dad just had to get into the scene!)

    It's OK to let her do a little more discovery by leaving her to her own devices.  She won't like it, because it's work, but if you're persistent you'll both get used to it.  Eventually.

    Hard to believe, I know ... but soon enough (really, really soon) you'll be wishing with all your heart that she'd let you help her, be more dependent on you, stay put in one place.  Then you'll look back on all this and laugh (or you would, if you weren't already so busy with Kid #2 as to be losing your mind).     






    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Sadie, wishing her a fast recovery from that cold!

    From what I've just read, 25% of babies don't crawl by 10 months, and 10% still don't crawl at 11 months. Tell your day care lady that if she can't deal with perfectly normal babies, that you'll take Sadie elsewhere :)  It's not that you're a first time mom, it's that every baby is different!! She's fine, she's smart, she's cute, and she's NORMAL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom is completely right about the day care thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reality checks, everyone. :)

    I'm not as bothered as I was. Especially after I went back to day care that afternoon because the owner wanted to "have a talk," which I assumed would be about Sadie's inability to crawl. Turned out she wanted to have another discussion, this time about her worry that Sadie turns her head to the right side more than to the left.

    It was the best thing she could have done, because from that point on I realized that the issue isn't really with my daughter.  And then she apologized for being so outspoken and repeated like a hundred times that she knows it "makes the moms mad" but that she couldn't live with herself if she didn't say anything because she has four children and if anything had been abnormal with them growing up, she'd have wanted other people to tell her about it. Then she told me about how her friend's child only turned to one side and developed a flat head and had to wear a corrective helmet.

    I thanked her for her concern and told her I wasn't worried.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I guess on the plus side, the woman's clearly got an eye on Sadie. I mean, I'd NEVER notice if V was turning her head more to one side than another. This woman must be paying a lot of attention, even if her concerns are really unnecessary.

    Hmmm, I wonder what she'd find wrong with Veronica....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really glad you feel better.  And I'm sure this woman means well.    But good Lord, if she's raised four children she should know that children develop at different rates!

    If Sadie were sitting like an unresponsive lump, or if she showed up at daycare with bruises all over her, that would be one thing.  But that's hardly the case.

    I assume she knows Sadie is under a pediatrician's care, as I'm sure the rest of the kids are.  That, and her wide experience, should make her VERY cautious about volunteering her opinion, especially about such touchy subjects,  before she's asked.   The fact that it doesn't -- that she feels comfortable alarming you and other Moms -- is very strange. 



    ReplyDelete